The recent changes page displays the most recent edits made to the pages on this wiki. The link to the recent changes page is in the navigation sidebar at the left of every page in the wiki. (The related changes page found in the toolbox sidebar, displays the most recent edits to articles linked to by the current page.)
Understanding recent changes
With the default preferences, the bulk of the page consists of fifty lines, one for each edit, looking like this:
(diff) (hist) . . m Main Page; 16:20 . . JMitchell (talk) (Amended typo)
(diff) (hist) . . N! Main Page; 16:01 . . JMitchell (talk) (Initial Version)
This indicates two edits: in the first JMitchell created the Main Page, and in the second she amended a typing error. From left to right:
- "diff" links to the diff-page for this edit; it is not available for new pages, or for page moves
- The "hist" link corresponds to the Page history link on the edited page: it shows not just this edit but also older and newer ones. For page moves, the hist link leads to the history of the new page title
- A bold m indicates that the user marked the edit "minor". Only logged in users can mark edits minor, to avoid abuse.
- A bold N indicates that the page is "new", i.e., previously did not exist. It is possible for a change to possess both the "minor" and "new" indicators; this is typically used for new redirects.
- The next link is a link to the current version of the page in question.
- 16:20 refers to the time in UTC. You can change the time to your time zone using your preferences
- For logged in users, the next link is a link to their user homepage. If the user profile page has not been completed, the link will be in red. If the user profile page exists, the link will be in blue
- Finally, there is a link to the user's talk page
- For page moves, a link is given to both the old and new title.
Interpreting Recent Changes Page
Logged in users can set preferences to adjust the way that Recent Changes looks. For help in doing this, see how to log in. The options that affect recent changes are:
- Hide minor edits in recent changes - this hides all edits that have been marked as minor by logged in users;
- See Help:Enhanced_recent_changes for more information about Enhanced Recent Changes.
Edit records that are changed or lost
After a page has been renamed (moved), earlier edits, including the original creation of the page, are shown in Recent Changes etc. under the new name. After a page has been deleted, earlier edits, including the original creation of the page, are not shown in Recent Changes etc. In this Recent Changes differs from a real log of editing events (the latter in the sense that something that has happened can not be changed afterwards).