Research and reports dealing with newcomer health issues, access to health care and the health system and the effects of health services on the newcomer population.
- A Report on the Experience of Sponsors of Kosovar Refugees in Ontario
- This report is an analysis of 278 surveys completed by the Sponsors of Kosovar refugees who came to Canada in the spring of 1999 during the Kosovo Refugees Emergency Evacuation Program - April 2001.
- Best Practices: Somali Family Mental Health Support Program
- This report provides an overview of a suggested best practices approach to assisting Somali families dealing with mental health issues - February 2005.
- Disability, Culture and Service Engagement among Chinese, Somali and Tamil Communities in Toronto
- This report examines the needs and experiences of Chinese, Tamil, and Somali communities in Toronto vis-à-vis intellectual disability - July 2004.
- Dynamics of Immigrants' Health in Canada: Evidence from the National Population Health Survey
- Statistics Canada reports that recent immigrants from non-European countries were twice as likely as the Canadian-born to report deterioration in their health over an eight year period - February 2005.
- Experiences of Front-line Shelter Workers in Providing Services to Immigrant Women Impacted by Family Violence
- The purpose of this research study is to explore how front-line workers of shelters for abused women and children experience providing support to immigrant women impacted by family violence - 2004.
- Immigrants in Waterloo Region - Fact Sheets
- Some conditions that affect population health - employment, education, living and working conditions, and social support - can be challenging for newcomers to Canada. These fact sheets explore key issues related to immigrants's health in Waterloo Region.
- Improving Access for Newcomer Youth to Sexual Health Resources and Services
- Planned Parenthood of Toronto’s study identifies information needs in newcomer youth communities and details their key learnings and recommendations from interviews with youth, service providers and a Filipino youth group - February 2006.
- Let Us Talk About Sex (L.U.T.A.S) Project
- The L.U.T.A.S. project sought to identify the current sexual behaviours, attitudes and potential health risks factors of adolescents and youth of Portuguese Speaking Origin with special attention to high risk and ostracized youth.
- Longitudinal Survey of Immigrants to Canada: Process, progress and prospects
- This report is part of a comprehensive survey designed to study the process by which new immigrants adapt to Canadian society - October 2003.
- Meanings of Social Support, Coping, and Help-seeking Strategies among Immigrants and Refugees in Toronto
- This paper (CERIS Working Paper Series #31) reports on a study of the meanings of social support for Chinese immigrants and Somali refugees in Toronto as part of a national qualitative study - May 2004.
- Migration Health National Conference: Towards a Migration Health Framework for the 21st Century
- The final report of a national conference, which focused on four themes (communicable diseases, non-communicable diseases, access to health services and other issues), provided a forum to discuss the current state of research on migration health in Canada and sought to develop some consensus around research priorities - 2003.
- Our Diverse Cities
- Published with the Federation of Canadian Municipalities, this magazine seeks to provide a look at population diversity in Canadian cities - Spring 2004.
- Perspectives on Disability in 3 Cultural Communities: Downtown Toronto, Canada
- This report discusses the commonalities and differences in the perception of disability in the Vietnamese, Chinese and Portuguese communities in Toronto - February 2005.
- Putting Data to Work for Immigrants and Communities: Tools for the Washington DC Metro Area and Beyond
- This report promotes the effective use of demographic data by community-based organizations working with and on behalf of immigrants - March 2004.
- Racialised Groups and Health Status: A Literature Review Exploring Poverty, Housing, Race-Based Discrimination and Access to Health Care as Determinants of Health for Racialised Groups
- This literature review investigates the impact of income, housing, race-based discrimination and access to health care on the health status of racialised groups in Toronto - Summer 2005.
- Settlement Services for Newcomers and Access to Family Services
- A research study investigating strategies for coordinated and collaborative models of settlement service delivery in Toronto, with particular focus on family services - May 2000.
- Sexpress: Toronto Teen Survey Final Report
- The goal of the Toronto Teen Survey (TTS) is to conduct research that will enrich both the quality and quantity of sexual health information available to Toronto teens and improve the ways in which sexual health promotion and care are delivered.
- Study on Settlement Services for Newcomers in Isolated Rural Areas
- This report seeks to gain a better understanding of the types of settlement services and information being accessed by newcomers in rural and remote areas of Ontario - May 30, 2001.
- The Economic Dimensions of Interpersonal Violence
- This report makes the case for investing in prevention by highlighting the enormous economic costs of the consequences of interpersonal violence - 2004.
- Toronto Community Data for Planning on Health Initiatives
- One of the key components of an effective program plan or research project proposal is having good data to inform your needs assessments. This website provides valuable statistical data about key health indicators in Toronto communities.
- Visibly Hidden: Rethinking BMSM & HIV Prevention
- The goal of this report is to provide an overview of the significant needs, barriers and service gaps for Black, gay, bisexual and straight identified African and Caribbean men who have sex with other men in Toronto - June 2007.
- Working to Achieve Health Equity with an Ethnic Perspective: What has been Done and Best Practices
- This document addresses issues relating to health equity and victims of racial discrimination - November 2004.
- Workshop on Minority Youth Residing in the Ottawa-Carleton Region
- A report documenting the findings and recommendations of a workshop on the challenges facing minority youth residing in the Ottawa-Carleton Area - May 2000.
Pages on the wiki
To tag a wiki page to be part of this category, enter the following code on the page:
|This page is part of the SettlementAtWork Archive.|