Training for Employment Support Services
|Click here to watch this page and receive an email notification when this page has been edited!|
The Training for Employment Support Services project is an exciting professional development opportunity for frontline settlement workers in the area of employment-related information and referral (I&R). It provides frontline workers with the knowledge, skills and tools to refer clients to the employment services that they need. By improving clients' access to the most appropriate employment services, their integration into the labour market is made easier.
The curriculum is based on training needs identified though a multifaceted gap analysis and is grounded in accepted standards in Information and Referral. Fundamental to this training is the opportunity to network and explore strategies to develop cooperative relationships with employment services.
The main topics covered by the training are:
- The major stages of the immigration process and how they impact employment needs and decisions
- Employment services in your area - what they are and how to find them
- Conducting a basic employment needs assessment
- Managing your clients' expectations of employment services
- Understanding what employment workers do and identifying ways to share information and collaborate
Resources from the training are available at Employment-Related I&R - Resources for Settlement Workers.
- General Resources - Information about Employment Ontario, Labour Market Information and more
- Local Resources - Read and share information about employment services in your area
- Training Program Resources - View PowerPoint presentations from employment service providers and the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities; get useful websites to help you with clients
Gap Analysis Results
The curriculum is based on the findings from a gap analysis conducted at the beginning of the project.
The gaps fell into 3 main categories:
- Employment Needs Assessment
- Referral and Coordination
Project Management and Funder
The TESS project can be accessed through the Learn At Work website http://learnatwork.ca
Jolanta Nozka, Manager, Sector Capacity Development
- Tel: 416-322-4950 Ext 270
- RFP: Evaluation Consultant for the Training for Employment Support Services Project(December 20, 2010)
- RFP: Training Facilitators(February 15, 2011)
- RFP: e-Learning Instructional Designers(May 27, 2011)