Sandbox:Creating support and advocacy networks
From Settlement AtWork Wiki
Information about how to create, build, nurture and use local networks to help you work towards creating an environment of community access and participation for your clients.
- Best Workplace Policies and Practices: Accommodating the Workplace Needs of Muslim Women Wearing Hijab - The information in this Media Kit can be used to encourage employers to accommodate the workplace needs of Muslim women wearing hijab - November 2004.
- CERIS PAC Training Project "Knowledge for Action - Action for Knowledge" - This package is the product of the CERIS PAC Training Project "Knowledge for Action - Action for Knowledge". It is intended to be a resource training manual for community agencies serving immigrants and refugees.
- Collaboration and Partnering - Collaboration is a process through which parties who see different aspects of a problem can explore constructively their differences and search for (and implement) solutions that go beyond their own limited vision of what is possible.
- Fulfilling the Promise: Integrating Immigrant Skills into the Canadian Economy - This report focusses on practical solutions to the difficulties immigrants face in entering their specialized fields in Canada - April 2002.
- Human Rights in Housing in Canada: An Advocate's Guide - The goal of this guide is to give housing workers and service providers the knowledge and tools to enable them to overcome the discriminatory barriers that preclude people from getting and keeping housing - May 2008.
- Immigrant Settlement Counselling: A Training Guide - Part II - Module 8: Advocacy - This section provides activities to help participants understand what effective advcocacy is, their role in individual client advocacy, introducing social activism and institutional advocacy and the support and networks they need to become effective advocates for their clients.
- Influencing Government - In order to start lobbying effectively, you need to have a clearly defined issue, supported by some background information and personal stories. You also need to have an appropriate, well-trained spokesperson for your cause.
- Resources on Confidentiality for Self-Help/Mutual Aid Support Groups - This kit discusses confidentiality, including when you must break confidentiality in cases of abuse or self-harm.
Related Web Sites
- Disabled Women's Network (DAWN) Ontario - An organization promoting social justice, gender equality, human rights & the advancement of equality rights of disAbled women through education, research, advocacy, coalition-building, resource development, and information & communication technology.