Looking for Work in Canada: Strategies for New Canadians: An English as a Second Language interactive three-part resource
|Org:||London Language Training Advisory Council|
This learning resource was created from the first-hand experiences of newcomers to Canada, ESL instructors, employment counselors, and employers. It was originally published as a video and guide package. The video is available in some public libraries. Without the video, many of the activities will have to be reworked by the teacher.
The jobs described in the videos and guides tend to be entry-level positions that would be accessible to learners at a beginner to intermediate level because many newcomers must take jobs in low-skilled sectors to earn income while they improve their English and work towards longer term goals.
An overview of tools, techniques, and strategies for job searching is provided.
- Part 1, The Preparation
- covers how to match skills and interests to occupations and in order to present this information in a resume.
- Part 2, The Search
- covers how to search out employment opportunities and how to submit applications, resumes and cover letters.
- Part 3
- The Interview covers how to prepare for job interviews.
Individual Section in Adobe Acrobat format [PDF]
- Part 1: The Preparation 373 MB, 33 pages
- Part 1: Handouts 1.8 MB, 50 pages
- Part 2: The Search 567 KB, 34 pages
- Part 2: Handouts 2.6 MB, 44 pages
- Part 3: The Interview 563 KB, 37 pages
- Part 3: Handouts 2.1 MB, 42 pages
- These documents are available for download in Adobe Acrobat PDF format [see sidebar for file size and page numbers per document].