IGR Communications Working Group/2010-10-14
- 1 Meeting notes
- 2 Review of Agenda
- 3 See also
- 4 Discussion of possible joint initiatives
- 5 References for research piece shared at the meeting
- 6 Next meeting
- 7 Files attached
- 8 See also
- Mary Durante
- Diane Gumbs
- Natalie Fatica
Review of Agenda
by Chairperson – Joan Atlin
Joan reviewed the minutes of the September meeting. The working group proceeded to review information presented in the information sharing table included in the minutes. The information sharing table was updated with new information as follows:
|Government use of Social Media for settlement|
Summary of the use of Social Media by various levels of government in the settlement sector.
Discussion of possible joint initiatives
The group discussed two areas of joint initiative:
The group agreed that the information sharing that has taken place so far has been very valuable. They would like to continue to convene quarterly for information sharing purposes. OCASI can create an online presence for the working group for information sharing.
Kuziva presented a summary of current research on sources of employment information for immigrants - File:Marketing Employment Information to Immigrants updated.ppt.
- Key conclusion was that a more comprehensive joint research may be necessary
- 2 possible projects were identified:
- a more comprehensive literature review to identify all the relevant research and the conclusions that can be drawn from it
- a representative sample survey to get a more detailed demographic picture of who (by age, gender, language etc) is accessing employment information from which kinds of information sources (print, native language, websites, social media, friends and family etc.)
Action: Members will discuss the possibility of a joint research project with their own organizations and consider possible questions and methodology
Other areas pending discussion at the next meeting:
Joint marketing initiatives
- Look at the possibility of joint marketing
Joint responses to on-line information requests
- Several agencies are on facebook – Is there a way of jointly marketing information through facebook?
- Statistics Canada: LSIC, 2003], page 40]
- Skills for Change Annual Report 2009/10
- The role of internet-based social support networks in immigrant settlement – a case study of the NewBridger, Julie Xiaoping Lin et al, 2010
- Settlement Programming through the media, Karim H. Karim, Mahmoud Eid and Boulou Ebanda de B’beri, 2007
- Recent Immigrants’ Awareness of, Access to, Use of and Satisfaction with Settlement services in the York Region, Lucia Lo et al, 2010, CERIS working paper number 79]
- Settlement in the workplace, the settlement needs of employed newcomers, an exploratory study, R J Sparks Consulting Inc. and WGW Services, sponsored by COSTI Immigrant Services, 2001
- File:Diversity Webinar Presentation FINAL.pdf Diversity Initiative 2008 report.
- File:Diversity-1.pdf Diversity Initiative 2008 report.
- [[File:Diversity.pdf]] March 2008
- Findings of the settlement.org evaluation survey, Arnold love, June 15, 2010
- Are immigrant wages affected by the source of job search information?
- File:Working Group Agenda Nov17 final.doc
- File:IGR Communication and Marketing Working Group Oct14 Notes final.doc
- File:IGR-interoperability and marketing - selected slides re. collaboration.ppt
- File:Marketing Employment Information to Immigrants updated.ppt
- Original document for this page: File:IGR Communication and Marketing Working Group Oct14 Notes final.doc