The terms “move” and “rename” are synonymous. You can rename a page by moving it.
There are several reasons why you might wish to rename a page:
- the title has been misspelled.
- the title does not follow the naming conventions
- the scope of the article has been reduced, extended or otherwise changed
Why should I move/rename a page, instead of creating a new one?
Instead of cutting and pasting the contents of the older article into a newly created article, using the move tab has the following advantages:
- The history and discussion pages are preserved with the move.
- All other pages that link to it will be automatically redirected to the newly named page.
To move a page:
- Log in
- Go to the page you want to move
- Click the move tab at the top of the article
- Type the new name for the page
- Choose whether you also want to move the page's talk page (usually you will)
- Indicate why you are moving the page
- Click the "move page" button and the page will be renamed to the new title