EPortfolios for Employability and Professional Development
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Exemplar Immigrant ePortfolio from Career Portfolio Manitoba
- 3 A Real Immigrant ePortfolio
- 4 Curriculum and Resources
- 5 ePortfolio for Professional Development
ePortfolios, also called Web CVs, can be used for:
- learning, information gathering and knowledge building (workbook, storage locker, Personal Learning Environment)
- career development (exploration, showcase of knowledge and skills)
- qualifications recognition (match knowledge, skills and learning activities to certification requirements)
- job hunting (match capabilities to employer needs)
- workplace performance management and talent management
- ongoing professional development and learning (set learning goals, monitor progress)
Using its own capabilities and those of Web 2.0 applications such as YouTube, Slideshare and Screenr, multimedia ePortfolios can incorporate a wide variety of evidence, including scanned certificates, authentic workplace images, video demonstrations, presentations, reflection in action, etc.
This presentation describes the implementation of an ePortfolio service for employability based on Essential Skills in Manitoba. It includes a course that teaches learners how to build and maintain their own ePortfolios. It was developed for Workplace Education Manitoba and WPLAR.
This ePortfolio implementation uses Mahara, an open source platform developed in New Zealand, now used around the world in a wide variety of contexts.
The presentation was delivered at an international conference in London, England in July 2011.
Exemplar Immigrant ePortfolio from Career Portfolio Manitoba
Fictional, idealized; a model for others to follow...
Profile Page (for sharing with colleagues and stakeholders)
Labour Market Information Page (Links to LMI based on his target occupation NOC and feeds from job boards)
Professional Page (for employers)
Sample "Job Match Summary" (matching capabilities to needs from a specific job ad, with links to relevant evidence)
A Real Immigrant ePortfolio
Curriculum and Resources
Career Portfolio Manitoba
Excerpt from the eportfolio building course (good for overview but many links locked due to login requirements)
Why Take This Course and Course Tour (also accessible as the top link on the page above)
AlphaPlus: ePortfolios for Adult Basic Education
Includes links to presentations about how Mahara can work with Moodle
ePortfolio for Professional Development
The Centre for Workplace Skills
This national nonprofit is using the same Mahara ePortfolio technology as a platform for an online community of practice called The Centre Online.
This presentation shows the same platform being used for mandatory Continuing Professional Development in the Republic of Ireland.