Best Practices: Somali Family Mental Health Support Program
|By:||Karyn Baker; Maryan Dalal; Ubah I. Nur|
|Org:||Midaynta Association of Somali Service Agencies, Family Outreach & Response Program and Somaliland Canadian Society of Metro Toronto|
This report provides an overview of a suggested best practices approach to assisting Somali families dealing with mental health issues.
The report is the culmination of meetings, discussions and collaborative community effort to create strategies related to Somalis having difficulty accessing mental health services, the overwhelming stigma of mental illness in the community and the need for culturally and linguistically relevant services.
The report is organized into the following sections:
- Somali Family Mental Health Support Program
- Outreach Strategies
- Community Education and Awareness
- 1st Somali Mental Health Conference in Toronto
- Counseling/Support for Somali Families
- Somali Family Support Groups
- Needs of the Somali Community
- Networking Opportunities
- Staff Development
- Recommendations for Future Projects
Download the report in PDF format (163 KB, 17 pages).